Asking Price: $3,500
- Model Year: 1974
- Odometer: Not Listed
- City/Area: Mendocino County
- State/Region: California
- Seller Type: Private Owner
- Contact Name: No Longer Available!
- Phone: No Longer Available!
- Email: No Longer Available!
Message & Pictures
I’m selling my 1974 VW Thing project car. I have had it for a little less than a year, and after working on it and fixing many things on it, I have realized that I do not have the time at this point in my life to have an old VW to take care of. It ran when I bought it (barely), and when I did a compression test, it came back very low in all cylinders. I pulled the motor, and brought it to my mechanic, where it sits in many pieces to this day, 4 months later. The car will not come with a motor, you will have to provide your own!
The body is fairly straight, very little rust. It appears to be originally an Acapulco model, as shown by the seats and some of the blue underneath the white paint. However, it looks at though the front clip of a 73 was used, as I can see yellow under the front paint, and evidence of where a gas heater went. The frame underneath is all straight and freshly painted with Por-15, as seen in the pictures. The air muffs are beat up and could use replacement.
When I bought it, I had to apply for a title and get the VIN number verified by DMV. I now have all the proper paperwork to go with this vehicle, and it has a clean pink slip in my name ready to transfer to the new owner. It is currently registered.
Here are the details on the Thing:
* New gas tank
* New master cylinder
* New tires
* New engine seal
* 2 coats of Por-15 applied to cleaned and sanded floors. 1 coat of por-15 topcoat on top of that.
* Por-15 on the bumpers
* New wiper blades. Wiper motor works fine.
* New battery
* New rear shocks
* New turn signal switch
* Keys to ignition, and key to door and engine hatch
Here are the items that will need attention:
* Turn signals still do not work, even after installing new turn signal switch
* Obviously, needs new motor
* Bright headlights don’t work
* Upholstery on the seats
* New front trunk seal needed
* Drivers side door mirror is ripped off
* Paint is low quality and flaking in areas.
I am obviously taking a loss on the car, but I am at the point where I realize I need to sell it.
I am extremely firm on the price of $3,500. Please don’t offer me less, as I spent years looking for one, and I am well aware of what they are worth.
Disassembled Thing engine (down to short block) with correct exhaust, Thing skid plate parts, new cylinders, heads, etc. available as well for an additional $800. I have close to $1,000 in new parts for this engine.
This is the third Thing I have owned, and I will probably regret selling it, but I know that I will get another one some day in the future.
Thanks for looking,